Thursday, September 13, 2007

Worried about Steven Jackson?

Just a few weeks ago I said I had no worries about making Steven Jackson the No. 2 overall fantasy pick this year. True to my word, I even went out and did exactly that in one of my drafts.

Jackson rewarded me with a 58-yard, no-TD opener against Carolina. Even more disconcerting, he caught just one pass for three yards, lost two fumbles, and his best blocker, Rams left tackle Orlando Pace, got hurt and is out for the year?

So am I worried yet? No. Here are three reasons why:

1. Carolina had Jackson's number last year, too. They held him to just 27 yards in Week 10 of 2006, by far his lowest output last season. The Panthers can play a little defense.

2. Pace missed the last seven games of last season. Jackson's rushing average during that stretch: 106 yards a game. Throwing out the Carolina game, which came the week following Pace's injury: 119 yards a game. And he continued to be a receiving threat. Pace's absence won't hurt Jackson that much this year, either.

3. Jackson faces the 49ers this week. The same 49ers that let him rush for 103 yards and 121 yards in their two matchups last season. The same 49ers that also let him catch nine passes for 91 yards in their second meeting last year. If Jackson doesn't have a nice day this Sunday, maybe then I'll start considering possibly thinking about worrying.

But not now.

No comments: