Monday, September 03, 2007

Tales from the draft

I'm sure a lot of you drafted over the weekend. I took part in two drafts for my two main leagues: one in a gathering of some friends and colleagues, the other via cell phone to a location 1,100 miles away.

Here's how I made out:

LEAGUE 1
12 teams, 7th overall pick

NITTANY LOINS:

QB Carson Palmer
QB JP Losman

RB Frank Gore
RB Brandon Jacobs
RB Ladell Betts
RB Chester Taylor

WR Terrell Owens
WR Andre Johnson
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Brandon Jones

TE Chris Cooley
TE Tony Scheffler

K David Akers
K John Kasay

Miami Defense
Dallas Defense

I was thrilled to have Gore drop to me with the No. 7 pick. I was expecting to get Shaun Alexander or somebody like that ... I had Gore at No. 4 in my overall rankings.

Snagged Palmer in the second round ... I put him basically in the same class as Peyton Manning, who went in the first round. I'm not a big T.O. fan, at least not in real life, but I had to grab him since he was the last elite WR available. Thrilled to get Jacbos, Betts and A. Johnson ... Not too sure about Taylor but not bad for a No. 4 ... I like the Dolphins too, mostly because of Ted Ginn Jr.


LEAGUE 2
10 teams, standard scoring, 2nd overall pick

ACE IN THE HOLE:

QB Carson Palmer
QB Eli Manning

RB Steven Jackson
RB Thomas Jones
RB Cedric Benson
RB Jerious Norwood

WR Lee Evans
WR Plaxico Burress
WR Laveranues Coles
WR Joey Galloway

TE Alge Crumpler
TE Bo Scaife

K Shayne Graham
K Jay Feely

New England defense
San Francisco defense

This is my big-money league, and my dad and I are co-owners. We really tanked last year (hence the second pick), in large part because of some big-time duds at RB (Clinton Portis, LaMont Jordan). So we decided to go pretty heavy on the tailbacks. Jackson was an obvious choice at with the No. 2 pick, then I opted for Jones in the second round. Benson as a third-string RB was the icing on the cake, and I love Norwood as my No. 4.

I was thrilled to have Palmer fell to us in the third round. Looks like I'm a Bengals fan this year! It should make my teams a little easier to follow on Sundays, if nothing else.

Receiving corps is a little iffy, but that's the trade-off for loading up on running backs. The league scoring tends to be a little RB-biased anyway, which works to my advantage. Not thrilled about Crumpler, but what can you do?

Anyway, overall I was pretty happy with both drafts, but it seems like that's always the case. You never really know until the season plays out. I'll keep you updated on how I'm doing this season. Feel free to share some thoughts about how your own drafts turned out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's how the first of my two drafts went:

Sick Wit' It
12 team draft, 1st pick overall

1) LT
24) Marshawn Lynch ( i love this pick)
25) Marvin Harrison
48) Jamal Lewis
49) HInes Ward
72) Matt Leinart
73) Devery Henderson
96) Jason Witten
97) Chester Taylor
120) Mark Clayton
121) Rex Grossman
144) Seattle
145) Josh Brown

Breakdown:

QB: Leinart, Grossman
RB: LT, Lynch, Lewis, Taylor
WR: Harrison, Ward, Henderson, Clayton
TE: Witten
D: Seattle
K: Brown

I was pretty happy, considering with 12 teams, it's tought to get a team that's to good.

second draft
6 team league, 4th pick

HONOR STUDENT

4) Gore
9) Rudi Johnson
16) TO
21) Ronnie Brown
28) Brees
33) lee evans
40) Baltimore
45) Adre Johnson
52) Calvin Johnson..love this pick also
57) jamal lewis
64) darrel Jackson
69) Marshawn Lynch
76) alge crumpler
81) Rackers
88) Phillip Rivers...a steal in my book

Breakdown:
QB: Brees, Rivers
RB: Gore, Johnson, Lewis, Brown, Lynch
WR: TO, Lee Evans, Adre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Jackson
TE: Crumpler
D: Baltimore
K: Rackers

This draft was just loaded with only six teams, dont like my team as much in this one. I'm looking for Lynch and Jamal Lewis to have big years along with Calvin Johnson.

What do you think of my teams:

JASON BARTOLONE said...

The RB depth is a little shallow in your first league, but I guess that's what comes with taking LT. I like Lynch too but I'm not sure he's ready to step in and be an every-week starter ... I'm not so big on Lewis either, he's been in decline and going to the Browns isn't going to help much.

Leinart should be a prety solid starter for a 12-team league though, and I do like Chester Taylor to be a contributor. You may need to upgrade your backup WRs (Henderson, Clayton) at some point so keep a lookout on the waiver wire if someone emerges.

The second team is pretty awesome, as you would expect in an eight-team league. Can't really find much fault in it at all actually. Nice job.