Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Just checking in

I can't offer a whole lot this week in the way of recapping Sunday's action ... I spent much of the weekend moving into a new house and was without cable and the Internet, caveman-style. The good news is by this weekend I should be all settled in and will for the first time have access to DirectTV's wondrous NFL Sunday Ticket, which means my analysis should be better than ever.

In the meantime, I'll give you a few impressions from the action that I did get to see and from the information I gleaned from reading box scores the next day, like they did in olden times:

• I couldn't help but notice that much-maligned Giants defense terrorizing Donovan McNabb. Totally didn't see that coming, and I'm a Giants fan. And how does a team go from scoring 56 points one week to three the next? Does Brian Westbrook mean that much to this offense? Yes, apparently.

• Tough break for Cadillac Williams owners. The running back ranks are thinning before our eyes. I like Michael Pittman a little better than Earnest Graham from here on out. More on that in my next post.

• Before you go nuts over Daunte Culpepper's five TDs (two rushing), realize who they came against (Miami, so it was personal) and how many passing yards he had (75).

• Good signs for two of the three elite RBs we've been watching closely, as Larry Johnson and LaDainian Tomlinson both crossed the 100-yard barrier when their teams played each other. We're getting out of the danger zone with these two, moreso with LT2. And didn't I tell you to get that Dwayne Bowe kid (eight catches, 164 yards, TD for third straight week)? Yes, yes I believe I did.

• OK, I guess I can't fight it anymore. It looks like Adrian Peterson (the good one) is an every-week starter now. Chester Taylor is still going to get some looks like I've said all along, but the thing about Peterson is, he's capable of breaking off those big runs, like his 55-yarder against Green Bay. Too bad the Vikes have a bye week - I'd almost be tempted to play the kid regardless.

• If you had Matt Leinart penciled in as your backup (or starter, in deep leagues) you've probably already considered some alternatives. When you're letting Kurt Warner outplay you and manufacture major upsets, you've got a problem. I'd be looking at guys like Jeff Garcia, David Garrard, even David Carr at this point if they're out there. Sounds like Jake Delhomme might be headed for elbow surgery, so now's the time to act if you're interested in Carr.

No comments: