Friday, May 04, 2007

Back to the blog

Hey, sorry about the lack of blogging lately, I just got back from my honeymoon a few days ago. Internet access was a little pricey at our place in Jamaica, and with all the Cricket World Cup action clogging up the TV, it was a little hard to keep up with baseball. We did get ESPN, so when my beautiful bride and I weren't preoccupied with, ahem, other things (you know, like Red Stripe, rum punch, strawberry daquiris ...) I got to catch a few highlights here and there. Apparently the Yankees didn't have a very good April or something?

Anyway, the past couple days I've tried to play catch up. My fantasy team really tanked the first month of the season but it's finally showing some signs of life. Mark Teixeira hit two homers in two days last week against the Blue Jays. I thought he could jack 40 this year, but I'll settle for 35. Alfonso Soriano finally has a pulse now that the calendar's flipped. Mariano Rivera isn't washed up yet - not one but two saves earlier today in a doubleheader as he slowly chipped away at that ERA.

One guy who's helping me out: Barry Bonds. Picked him up as my fourth OF on draft day, now I'm pretty much starting him on a daily basis, except on day games after night games of course. I figured he'd be a little undervalued in most drafts, but I really didn't anticipate this kind of production. Let's hope that George Mitchell investigation keeps taking its sweet old time.

Some other random thoughts:

• Seems like Chris Carpenter may have dodged a bullet. For a while it seemed like that elbow injury could have taken a pretty serious turn, but he's reported no problems in his rehab and could be back on the mound by next week. Then again, with the way the Cards' season has gone so far that elbow might explode any second.

• Bob Wickman's DL stint is good news for savvy owners who stashed Rafael Soriano or Mike Gonzalez on their roster. The two young guys will split the save opportunities in some fashion ... should be interesting to see how Bobby Cox uses them, and if Wickman will even have a job when he gets back.

• How bittersweet was Phil Hughes' last start? You're watching him mow down the Rangers, patting yourself on the back for grabbing this year's Francisco Liriano, and then - pop goes the hamstring. Out for 4-6 weeks, or more. Take heart though ... I'm not a medical expert of any kind, but I just don't think it's a terribly serious injury. The Yanks are going to proceed with extreme caution. In fact, they wouldn't have even brought Hughes up this early if the rest of the Bombers' starters weren't dropping like flies. Originally the thinking was he'd be a late-season spark, and I still think he can be just that. Keep him around if you can spare the roster space.

5 comments:

givemethat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
givemethat said...

Wondering your thoughts about two players. Sexson and JJ Hardy. Do you think Sexson will get hot and half a pretty good year like last year? Will Hardy be a solid shortstop this year? I have area's of concern and I have Hardy in my utility spot and Jeter at short. Can I rely on Hardy for the enitre year? I would think not, but just wondering your thoughts. Thanks.

JASON BARTOLONE said...

I've owned Sexson the past two years, so I know how maddening he can be. He's a boom-or-bust kind of guy, with too many strikeouts and absolutely terrible slumps and slow starts. Yet somehow you look at his stats at the end of the year and he's got 100-plus RBIs and 35 HRs. I would expect those numbers again this year, although he won't help your average and you may need somebody to fill in at 1B when he's in one of his funks. It's a catch-22 though because he's capable of going deep at any time.

As for Hardy, this COULD be his breakout year, but be careful. His six homers and .307 average are a nice surprise, but he had just 25 homers and was .272 hitter in 302 career minor league games. Throw in his injury history (a serious ankle tear last year), and Hardy's a pretty good "sell high" trade candidate if you can get somebody more proven. Plus, if you're using Hardy in a utility spot that's open to any position, you can probably find somebody else who can help you out more consistently in the power and/or speed categories.

GossipKing said...

Ouch,Carpenter is out at least 3 months.

JASON BARTOLONE said...

Like I said, it could explode at any time. Another reason I don't like to reach for starting pitchers at the top of the draft.