Saturday, April 14, 2007

An open letter to ESPN

Dear Worldwide Leader:

First off let me say I love all the emphasis on fantasy sports. It's great to see you guys recognize the huge geek demographic and pander to us in your magazine, on TV and on your Web site. Who else would even allow Eric Karabell's mug on TV, other than that "To Catch a Predator" show?

But I have a bone to pick with you. For all the money and time you spent promoting your free fantasy baseball leagues, could you at least GET THE SITE WORKING PROPERLY?????? I'm in one of your leagues this year for the first time (a "newbie", as they say on the World Wide Web), and you basically ruined the first week and a half of our season. First we couldn't add or drop players ... then some of our stats weren't being counted ... and then your solution was to default all the scoring to our Opening Day rosters, negating every lineup change we've made since then. Who is your webmaster, Stu Scott? How can you be this incompetent? Did Harold Reynolds hit you with some kind of virus out of revenge? Did Lance Armstrong stop pedaling the generator down in the basement? What gives?

In your defense, you did give us free subscriptions (or subscription extensions) to your Insider stuff. But come on fellas, get your act together. We take this fantasy crap pretty seriously, in case you hadn't noticed. I've got 20 bucks and my reputation riding on this league ... don't blow it for me! Don't make us start adding up all our stats by hand, 1980s style.

Sincerely,

Jason Bartolone
Fantasy Guru

1 comment:

David Unterreiner said...

Wait...you mean to tell me that there are internet sources that actually keep your stats for you? Shit, my life just got a lot easier. I've been spending hours every night adding up my own stats. Where do I sign up?

Is it ok to skip my 2 o'clock class so that I can catch Dan Patrick's interview with Brad Lidge this afternoon? Ole Dan says, "I'm asking him about that pitch that Albert Pujols hit. The ball that still, today, is on it's way up. I'm asking him if one single pitch can ruin a career?"

What's better: listening to Brad Lidge talk about his demise or learning about leisure studies?